26 January 2009

Google Calendar on your iPhone/Tasks synced with PC

I'm still waiting patiently for Pocket Informant to appear on the iPhone. Okay, not so patiently, but I have only checked WebIS's website once today.

Meanwhile, I had set up a Google Calendar in order to use my preferred iPhone To Do list application, TouchTodo. The deal is, I installed Google Calendar Sync on my PC, which periodically syncs with Google Calendar. I can add tasks, not in Outlook tasks, but in the Calendar, as time based entries, with the task preceded by the word "TouchTodo:". That syncs with Google Calendar, then from within TouchTodo on the iPhone I can select Sync and it will download those tasks over the air. It's a tad clumsy, but actually works really smoothly in practice.

Then my partner complained about how hard it was to find spaces in our (okay 'my') diary to spend time together, so I proposed making my Google Calendar available to her. Next thing we know we have mutually shared calendars, which is very handy, but how to access that from the iPhone?

There are quite a few solutions to this, which you can find if you Google. One is an app available in the appstore, though this doesn't work with the iPhone Calendar, but is stand alone. You can also view your Google Calendars in Safari. This is functional, but the data view is a little simplistic and it's obviously a little slower than the inbuilt iPhone Calendar.

Then I discovered the free NuevaSync service. In short, you sign up for it, then create a new Calendar account via your iPhones Settings. Your inbuilt Calendar app then syncs over the air with Google Calendar via NuevaSync's servers. So now I can still use Outlook on my PC, with the Google Sync app periodically updating my Google Calendar. From my iPhone, using the standard Calendar app, I can now see my Calendar and my girlfriend's, singly or together. They're also colour-coded so that you can tell one from another. Although I don't think that colour scheme can be changed at present, this is very cool

There are plenty of other Calendars on Google Calendar which you can view, but if you want them to sync with the iPhone you must import them into a Calendar of your own. That's easily done.

In short, this is a great system, and I think it's better than the Standard Outlook>iPhone Calendar setup I had before. On the downside, now that I am syncing Outlook>Google Calendar>NuevaSync>iPhone Calendar, it's naturally a bit slower to see updates appear, but that's about the only problem. I think this one will be a keeper on my iPhone.

No comments: